Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) is a government-backed small savings scheme for the benefit of girl child. It is a part of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Yojana and can be opened by the parents of a girl child below the age of 10. It can be opened at designated banks or post offices. A Sukanya Samriddhi Account has a tenure of 21 years or until the girl child marries after the age of 18.
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) | Eligibility and Documentations For Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
What is the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY)?
SSY aims at tackling a major problem associated with the girl child – education and marriage. It is focused on securing a bright future for the girl child in India by facilitating the parents of a girl child in building a fund for the proper education and a carefree marriage expenses of their child. SSY has introduced the Sukanya Samriddhi Account for this very purpose.
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) Highlights
- Interest Rates : 7.6% per annum (Q1 FY 2021-22)
- Maturity Period : 21 years or until the girl child marries after the age of 18
- Minimum Deposit Amount : Rs. 250
- Maximum Deposit Amount : Rs. 1.5 Lakh in a financial year
- Eligibility : Parents or legal guardian of a girl child below the age of 10 are eligible to open the SSY in the name of the girl child
- Income Tax Rebate : Eligible for rebate under section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961 (Maximum cap of Rs. 1.5 Lakh in a year)
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) Eligibility
- Only parents or legal guardians of a girl child can open an SSY account
- The girl child has to be below the age of 10 at the time of account opening
- Only one account can be opened in the name of a girl child
- Only two SSY accounts are allowed for a family i.e. one for each girl child
Document required for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana plan
- Form of the Sukanya Enrichment Scheme
- 2 passport photographs of daughter and mother and father
- Daughter’s birth certificate
- Copy of Aadhaar card or other identification card of the mother or father
- Proof of residence (electricity bill, ration card, driving license, election card, any one) – With such a copy ..
How to open a Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account?
You can open a Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) account with a participating bank or a Post Office branch. You need to follow the below procedure to open the account.
Step 1 : Visit the bank or Post Office branch where you would like to open the account.
Step 2 : Fill up the application form with relevant details and provide supporting documents.
Step 3 : Pay the first deposit in the form of cash, cheque, or demand draft. The amount can be anything from Rs.250 up to Rs.1.5 lakh.
Step 4 : The bank or Post Office will process your application and payment.
Step 5 : Upon processing, your SSY account will be opened. A passbook will be issued for this account marking the initiation of the account.
IMPORTANT LINKS :
APPLICATION FORM : CLICK HERE
OFFICIAL WEBSITE : CLICK HERE
How to fill SSY Application Form
The SSY Application Form requires applicants to provide some key data regarding the girl child in whose name the investment will be made under the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Yojana. Details of the parent/guardian who will be opening the account/making deposits on her behalf are also required. The following are the key fields that are featured in the SSY Application Form:
- Name of Girl Child (Primary Account Holder)
- Name of Parent/Guardian opening the account (Joint Holder)
Initial deposit amount
- Cheque/DD Number and Date (used for an initial deposit)
- Date of Birth of girl child
- Birth Certificate details of primary account holder (Certificate number, date of issue, etc.)
- ID Details of Parent/Guardian (Driving License, Aadhaar, etc.)
- Present and Permanent Address (as per ID document of parent/guardian)
- Details of any other KYC Documents (PAN, Voter ID card, etc.)
Once the above details have been filled out, the form needs to be signed and submitted with the account opening authority (Post office/Bank Branch) along with copies of all applicable documents.